Vai al contenuto

Benvenuti su Nikonland Questo sito è indipendente, è autofinanziato, non promuove e non raccoglie pubblicità. Non è collegato con Nikon, Nital o le loro sussidiarie

Nikonland non è una rivista periodica e non è quindi sottoposta alla normativa vigente 

- - - - -

Sigma Sd Quattro and 150 f2.8 OS, the power of the Macro

Sigma Sd Quattro 150 macro macrophotography Foveon

It has been a great pleasure for me to try again the Sigma Sd Quattro, this time with a true macro lens, the Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro OS. Thanks to the high reproduction ratio, I was able to make real close ups, with unusual composition and framing, to get something different not simply a document, but also abstract images from nature.

Now,  a little more abstract 

Spiral

Immagine Allegata: ammo4.jpg

A mid section of an Ammonite

Immagine Allegata: dettaglio.jpg

This is a 100% crop to show how amazing is the detail

Optical art

Immagine Allegata: dino.jpg

Section of a Dinosaur bone

Fractals?

Immagine Allegata: ammo5.jpg

Immagine Allegata: ammoint.jpg

No, just a detail of this Ammonite

Colours from the dawn of the Earth

Immagine Allegata: stroma1.jpg

This photo is worth some more detailed explanation: it is a sedimentary rock made by cyanobacteria and is more han half a billion years old. These bacteria were among the first living organisms on Earth and the first to produce  oxygen. It is called stromatolite. Only touching it make me shiver with emotion. Stromatolites are still made  today by the same bacteria in some harsh  environments like very salty (hypersaline) lakes and lagoons in  Australia

Conclusions

Given the limits due to lack of reliable autofocus, using a true macro lens with a camera equipped with such a  sensor, able to give plenty of informations and detail  (that may well be expected from  larger formats), for macro under controlled lighting,  is something one has to try to believe. 

Incidentally,  recently I had to go abroad to take photos of some specimens  for my "real" research, and had to use my own equipment (not that bad anyway: a 24mpx Dx DSRL and 105 Vr Micro lens). I have to admit that If I could have brought with me a Sigma Sd Quattro with a macro (preferably a 105mm f2.8 OS), I am sure that would have come back with a lot more detailed (=rich of information) shots.

And I leave you with this fossil Ginkgo,  another gem out of time.

Immagine Allegata: ginkgo.jpg

Finally, also this second try (half  test, half creativity performance) has been fascinating. I am really grateful to all who permitted me to make this experience: the Curators of the Museums who granted me access to the specimens under their care, my friend Gianni, Mauro Maratta whose contribution was literally  ... lightening ;), and also Marco Pagani who came to visit us, a newbie for Nikonland but a long time acquaintance for me.

Immagine Allegata: ccs-3468-0-70057800-1475953668.jpg

Again, my sincere thanks to Mtrading, the Italian dealer of Sigma products, for the kindness and generous offering to try their products.

Silvio Renesto for Nikonland

Test: Yes

0 Comments

0 user(s) are online (in the past 15 minutes)

0 utenti, 0 ospiti, 0 utenti anonimi